Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Why do you travel?



I had a great conversation with a new friend of mine who is Polish. Her name is Alexandra too, but she goes by Ola. We were talking about what we know about each other's countries.

Ola: When I tell people I'm Polish, they look at me like I've got something like "I'm easy!" written on my forehead! They always seem so surprised.
Me: Yeah, but that's because it's such a small country, right?
O: It's actually three-times the size of Switzerland.
M: Oh... You've heard that Americans are really bad at geography, right?
O: Yes. I heard that they think that Europe is one big country.
M: Well, I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but still...I mean, I consider myself to be a relatively well-educated person, and I go saying things like that! It's so embarrassing. I'm sorry. For all of us.
O: Well, nobody knows much about Poland.
M: Still...
O: I mean, when you say that you're from California, to me that just means "the States". I don't know anything about the different states!
M: (Mental note to not assume people know where California is. Don't be such an American snob! You've clearly no right, given the evidence above.)
O: Here's what I imagine it would be like driving through the United States. We're in a car- it HAS to be a Cadillac...
M: Yes, of course.
O: ...and we're driving and driving and driving and it's all totally flat. And then those things roll by (arm gestures a circular motion), I don't know what you call them in English...
M: Oh! Tumble weeds!
O: YES! Tumble weeds! And then we're driving and on one side of the road there's FOREST, and on the other side it's FLAT.
M: Um hmm.
O: And there are lots of huge trucks. And all the men are wearing these shirts (she gestures at her shoulders)...
M: You mean, white tank tops?
O: No, they've got lines like this (she crosses her fingers so she's making two peace signs that are layered on top of each other, perpendicularly).
M: Oh! Plaid!
O: Um...
M: Kind of like this (I pull out my tartan scarf)?
O: Yes! Like that! (we're both laughing now)
M: You know, there are actually parts of America that probably would look like this. Like, Kansas maybe.
O: Yes! KANSAS! (She recognizes that state. We laugh more.) And wait, then we stop at a restaurant. We walk in, and sit down, and a lady walks up to us (she mimes walking kind of like a cowboy, or someone with a strong gait) and says (with an accent that's reminiscent of...the wild west?) "Coffee?" So we say, "Yeah, Coffee" (in the same out-west kind of accent) and we also get omelet! (The laughing escalates. Omelets- always funny.) And when we get to California! Everyone is very tanned and beautiful.
M: Yes, true.
O: And everyone has these (she indicates with her fingers on either side of the bridge of her nose) because they've all just gotten nose jobs (I start losing it for real.). AND...(in a dramatic pause, she gives me a look that is equal parts seduction and excitement)...ROLLERBLADES!
(We are both gone. And peeing in our pants. It's all true, every word. Once we calm down, she asks in a tone that suggests she already knows the answer) Do you rollerblade?
M: Well...(I'm trying to figure a way out of this one) yes, I have... (Ola looks triumphant. She wins. What I didn't tell her is that I took rollerblading for an entire quarter of P.E. in high school. If I could get this girl to Golden Gate Park on a sunny Saturday, it would BLOW HER MIND. )
(And then she asks...)
O: How do you imagine Australia?
M: Everyone wearing that sort of beige, out-back kind of gear, you know?
O: Yes, and Kangaroos. EVERYWHERE.
M: Yes! EVERYWHERE!


Love,
Alex

2 comments:

  1. This is gonna have to be my first map of the world once i become a proper geographer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be deeply honored and am desperately excited to see the result! xoxo(etc.)

      Delete